Thursday, October 19, 2017

The Perils of the Common Cold



So I have been kicking around this cold since mid September.  I wish it was just a cold.  That's actually a twofold statement because this cold has turned into a raging sinus infection.  I think finally after 4 days on antibiotics, I am FINALLY getting the upper hand.

There is a certain amount of angst that accompanies every single cold I get since getting lymphoma.  It starts with a sore throat.  Every cold since I was a child has started with a sore throat.  Sore throats suck.  But now my irrational brain often thinks a random sore throat is throat cancer, tonsil cancer (is that even a thing?), neck cancer.  Wouldn't it just be easier to take a lozenge and move on?  Of course it would.

Look at that, the sore throat eases into sinus pain and pressure...oh yeah and a cough.  It's not a cold, it's a brain tumor, tumors in my sinuses.  Didn't someone's cousin's mother in law leave a cough untreated for months only to find out she had stage 4 lung cancer???  Maybe some cold medicine...but of course, I am limited because of the HBP brought on by the lymphoma diagnosis.

WHY hasn't someone invented something that you can take with water, or a shot or an inhaler that kills a virus???  I am sure there is a logical medical explanation but man, a cure for the common cold would be worth its weight in gold.

A couple of days in...my head is disconnected from my body from the different medications and home remedies I have tried to make myself comfortable.  Now I start stressing about the wrong combination causing cancer...or some other serious malady.  So I resort to trying to drown myself with my neti pot.

This time around, I couldn’t kick it on my own.

Getting back to normal...at least on the cold/sinus infection front.  I think the irrational mind is here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment