Friday, October 20, 2017

Find the Good


I have always tried to find the good in things, give people the benefit of the doubt, find the beauty in an otherwise ugly situation.  I guess when everything in your life doesn't go as perfectly as your Pinterest board, you have no choice.  Or do you??  I know of people who don't have a perfect life but they have a pretty good life and yet take every opportunity to hold pity parties for one.  You know them too; glass half empty people.  Some of these people don't even have a glass they have such "poor me" mentalities.

My Dad died when I was young.  It took me a long time to find the good in this particular situation, don't get me wrong.  But many years later, I realized my memories of him are intact.  He didn't battle a disease for years before he passed.  I didn't watch him waste away.  I remember the way he looked and the conversation we had in the middle of the night, hours before he died.

My first marriage failed.  Now all of the good things that happened to me as a result of my first marriage failing are their own blog post.  Let's just say I am where I am today because my first marriage failed.  And where I am is pretty cool.

Lymphoma was not on my bucket list.  But, I learned a lot about myself while I battled lymphoma.  I learned how strong I am.  I learned who my friends are.  I knew how amazing my husband was but that fact was reinforced daily.  I learned that I look OK bald; gonna stick to a full head of hair for now though.  I can rock a beanie, a ball cap, and a fedora.  My makeup skills improved.  I truly learned how small acts of kindness can light up the world for people.  I learned to be present.  I learned to enjoy each and every moment.  I learned to push out the darkness and seek the light.  Most importantly, I won the battle.

In the craziness that is the world today, I try to find the quiet, the calm, the beauty of a sunrise or a sunset...the smoothness of an ice cold glass of Tito’s...the sweetness of a handful of M&Ms..

Find your good.




No comments:

Post a Comment