Thursday, September 6, 2018

It doesn’t affect MY life...


Families separated at the border

Basic healthcare is a luxury for some

Racism

Mass shootings

I could go on and on.

Some people’s response to the above is...it doesn’t affect MY life.

Oh, but it does.

I cannot begin to describe how disappointed I am in some people.  Too many people think that because it isn’t happening to them personally, that they don’t need to be involved.  That is how we got a reality “star” elected president.  Well that and the archaic electoral college, but that is another blog post entirely.

This isn’t a blog post about political leanings or parties.  It’s about right and wrong.

You know, I used to think LeBron James was a pompous ass.  Everyone remembers the big prime time announcement on ESPN when he decided to sign with Miami.  Well..basketball fans do.  The city of Cleveland was quicker to forgive him than I was.  Now he is giving back.  He can afford to send his kids to the finest schools...poor school systems don’t affect his life.  That doesn’t stop him from trying to make a change.  People also have criticized him for speaking out against the current administration.  I struggle with this.  Should he just play basketball?  Or should he be an example for kids that are watching.  Of course he should do both.  I think some of those criticisms come from people who are pissed that a black man would speak out that way.  LeBron James’ view is no more or less important than anyone else’s.  I give him credit for speaking up.

Those who criticize don’t get to dictate what he stands for, or what his truth is. Your opinion of it, tells the story of who YOU are.

If you have your panties in a twist about Colin Kaepernick kneeling for the anthem, let me ask you...would you be so irate if Tom Brady had been the first to kneel?  Maybe Tom isn’t the best example because his GOAT status would give him a pass on some things.  How about Blake Bortles?

I am sure the first time Colin Kaepernick knelt, he had no idea the firestorm he was unleashing.  He was, however clear in the statement he was making; what he was speaking out against.  Maybe he was affected by racism directly, maybe not.  He was after he knelt.  You can agree with him or not, however if you’re boycotting the NFL or Nike; that tells a story about YOU.  I can also assure you that the NFL and Nike don’t care and neither are going away.

If you’re reading this and you don’t know me, I am white.  I live a suburban middle class life.  Racism is alive and well in America; hell, it’s encouraged by the current leader of the free world. I have seen racism negatively affect people I care about.  I have also seen people I care about spout dispicable things about other races.  They have said Colin Kaepernick has no right...

NO, in this country, he has EVERY right.

So last night...45 was blathering on about how the New York Times (it’s not failing, by the way) should “out” the anonymous op-ed author “for national security”.  When I stopped laughing, I realized how desperate he sounds.  This putz got elected because too many people thought Hillary’s emails were somehow worse than, sexual assault against women, a complete lack of any ethics or morals, Russian interference in the election...how much time do you have?  Now some of you are thinking...well, that didn’t have an affect on MY life.

Oh, but it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment