Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Untitled

In this post you will find the words from the U2 song Running To Stand Still.  It's one of my favorite U2 songs.   It was released in 1987...on The Joshua Tree Album which is also one of my favorite albums of all time.  Some people love U2, some don't.  I love U2.  I have seen them in concert twice and regret not going to see the 30th anniversary tour of The Joshua Tree this summer.

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHNx1H-bQWQ


This song has always spoken to me; sometimes loud and clear; others more subtly.

And so she woke up
Woke up from where she was
Lying still
Said I gotta do something
About where we're going

Step on a steam train
Step out of the driving rain, maybe
Run from the darkness in the night
Singing ha, ah la la la de day
Ah da da da de day
Ah la la de day

Sometimes I think the "random" play on my iPhone is anything but.  This song came up on my way to work Monday morning.  I was reeling Monday after hearing about the massacre in Las Vegas.  All at once, the tears came.

Sweet the sin
Bitter than taste in my mouth
I see seven towers
But I only see one way out

You got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice
You know I took the poison
From the poison stream
Then I floated out of here
Singing ha la la la de day
Ha la la la de day
Ha la la de day

My brain has a hard time understanding the evil that lives in people; not all people.  Some people though seem to have crushing evil in their hearts.  Others live with an ignorance of anything that doesn't directly pertain to them.  Or they think their rights are being taken away. 

I don't know how to reconcile what happens regularly in this country but not in other industrialized countries.  I struggle to understand how people rise up in defense of fetuses but have no concept of how to care of the poor, or understand that rules written 200+ years ago might not apply word for word today.  If the Constitution was perfect, it wouldn't have amendments. 

She runs through the streets
With eyes painted red
Under a black belly of cloud in the rain
In through a doorway she brings me
White gold and pearls stolen from the sea
She is raging
She is raging
And the storm blows up in her eyes

She will
Suffer the needle chill
She's running to stand
Still

I have mentioned before how much music means to me.  It is part of me.  It brings me joy and peace.  It helps me communicate; a thought, a lament, a prayer.

Life will go on, wounds will heal.  New normals will be found.  Life will never be the same.  How many MORE times will it have to happen? 

No comments:

Post a Comment