Sunday, September 24, 2017

Sunday Evening Musings





I am going to stand when the National Anthem is played at a sporting event.  I will place my right hand over my heart and sing every word.  It would be OK if my beliefs told me not to.  That's the beauty of the freedoms we take for granted in this country.

I find it hard to believe that Colin Kapernick wasn't signed by a NFL team this year simply because he chose to take a knee for the National Anthem last season.  As is almost always the case, I am guessing there is more to the story.

The president should have more important things to do than tweet about NFL players.

Here's a news flash for him.  NFL players are not disrespecting the country.  They're not disrespecting the flag.  They're disrespecting statements made by the joke of a president we have and his view of the world.  However, they are not disrespecting the office of the president as much as the person holding the office has in the last 8 months.


A few years ago, I posted a rant about a awful rendition of The Star Spangled Banner performed by Steven Tyler before a NFL playoff game.  I even suggested deportation, although it was in jest.  He had every right to sing the song any way he wanted.  I had every right to call it as I heard it.  It was terrible.

Ask a veteran...you might be surprised at the answer.  They are fighting to protect our freedoms.  Freedom of speech, freedom to assemble, freedom to take a knee, freedom to call out injustice, freedom to STAND UP or SIT DOWN for what you believe in.  These freedoms aren't limited to the president and his cronies; they're for everyone.  That includes those who may disagree with what I have typed here.

That's your right and that's a beautiful thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment