Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Progress

So I was looking at my Facebook feed earlier and in the "On this Day" feature there were some progress photos.

Two years and a couple of months ago, I finished chemo and almost immediately my hair started growing back.

For anyone who hasn't experienced it, it's weird.  Your head gets a tingly feeling...I got the same feeling when it was falling out as well.  Then much like when a teenage boy starts getting facial hair, the top of my head would look dirty; then it was unmistakable soft new hair.

Apparently August 9th is the day I chose to give updates.

August 9, 2015






Dark peach fuzz with a streak of gray on top that you'll need to take my word for.  No one needs to see that.  I was a bit shocked at how dark my hair came in.  And curly too---seriously out of hand curls.  Someone asked my husband something about "his Italian wife".  I am only Italian by association. LOL  Man do I have a HUGE forehead!

August 9, 2016


See, there are the curls.  I spent a week in Florida in May of 2016 and the humidity had me resembling a poodle.  I can say that I have been lucky enough to experience many different types of hair.  They say if you have straight hair you want curly and vice versa.  While my hair has never been perfectly straight, I can make it that way if I want.  I like curly better than wavy for sure.  Curly requires less maintenance.  I can literally throw in some gel and go.

August 9, 2017





Blonder, longer...still the curl but less so because it's so thick and heavy.  Trying to decide if I want to grow it another inch or so.  I'd like to put it in a pony once in a while and I cannot quite make it.  I'd also like to go back to little or no maintenance, so maybe I will cut it.  We'll see what he future holds.

I remember the devastation I felt when my hair started falling out.  Those who know me know that I like to be in control.  I had no control over it and it hurt.  Cancer had taken my health and then my hair.

Then I felt defiance.  Eff you cancer...there are wigs, scarves, hats and you know what...I looked OK bald.  And hair grows back!!!

So I guess what I am trying to say is:  Cancer can take things from you. You cannot give it the power to take what is on the inside.  XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment