Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Choices

A few weeks ago, 2 young people were killed in a horrific automobile accident a few blocks from my home.  It was car vs. tree and most of the time the car and its occupants suffer far more than the tree. 

I pass this tree daily on my way home from work...on a residential street where the speed limit is 20mph.  Police say the driver of the car in the accident was doing over 100mph on a residential street, at night, in the rain.  I am sure the driver and passenger didn't think that rainy night would be their last on Earth, but it was...because of choices that were made.  We're never going to know all of the choices that were made leading up to the accident because there is no one that survived the accident.

Drive fast or slow
Reckless or not
Be mindful of conditions or not

Or the conspiracy theory---the driver hit the tree purposefully.  I don't know.

I do know that a dozen or more things had to fall into place in order for the accident to occur.

Go out or not
Stay home or not
Argue or not

Everything we do every day involves choice...I CHOSE to write this.  It's been rattling around in my brain for a few weeks.  I had to get over the shock and the anger and the sadness.  Can you imagine being family and friends of a 26 year old woman and a 25 year old man that are killed in the blink of an eye...because of choices they made??

I am not trying to Monday morning quarterback this situation but I have thought about it a lot over the last few weeks.

I have made some poor choices in my life; my first marriage comes to mind immediately.  There are few things in our lives that do not involve choices; most choices we make without a ton of thought.

I chose to go to work today...yes, I could have called in but, most days I like my job, there's is plenty of work to do, I like getting paid, etc.

I chose the car I drive based on facts from Consumer Reports Magazine, and word of mouth from family and friends who own similar vehicles.

I choose to be kind (most of the time); working on making that all of the time.😁

I didn't choose to get cancer and to this day that bugs me.  Now I realize NO ONE is going to CHOOSE to get cancer.  It still bugs me.  I still get angry about it sometimes.  I choose to not stay angry about it.

I did choose to battle it with everything I had, I chose my army (or they chose me), I chose to be positive, present, victorious.  I choose the path I follow every day.

Am I never again going to make a poor choice??  Probably not.  I will probably make a poor choice or two before this day is over.  But I live my life with intention and know that the choices are mine and I own them; learn from some of the poor ones. 

Revel in the EXCELLENT ones.

Red or blue
3 or 4
Dunkin' or Starbucks

happiness or anxiety
love or hate
acceptance or blame

The choice is mine/yours. XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment