Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Dear Dad

Dear Dad,

I thought of you today as I sat in traffic in the snow...people are still driving like morons and you'd be proud of the way I introduce people to my car's horn regularly.  I know it's a Hyundai (and not a Chrysler product) but it's pretty slick.  Maybe one day I'll buy a muscle car...just keep an eye out for me, I have a bit of lead foot, you'd be proud of that too.

Mom's doing well; she's going to Costa Rica next month, none of us like to fly but it's a means to an end. I keep trying to talk her into the zip-lining trip.

You'd like the guys Carrie and I married; well maybe not all of them...that first one of mine...let's just say I did MUCH better the second time around.

You'd love your grandkids; the big ones and the little ones, they amaze me daily.

Daytona is next Sunday, Dad.  You're immortalized on the finish line there in Sharpie marker.  You'd flip out over the renovation at the track.  You'd like Martin Truex a lot.

You'd be astounded at the way the world has changed and probably not surprised that some things stayed the same.

Remember Jolly Jacks??  It's a pub called Declan's now...tons of craft beer...did you know beer that tastes like fruit is really good??  Chris introduced me to Blue Moons shortly after we met and I have become a beer snob. We love Declan's, I think it's because I visited Jolly Jacks as a kid.

In the 28 years since you're gone I know you have said hello in  your way.  I am guessing it was you at 2:15am today checking in.  The beagle knew you were there too.

Not sure why I am struggling today 28 years later maybe it's the snow, maybe it's because it's Wednesday and you left us on a Wednesday.  I guess I don't need a reason.  Having a reason isn't going to change it.

I don't remember who said it about the loss of a parent; you never get over it, you just learn to make the best of it.

XOXO

Me






No comments:

Post a Comment